Chomolungma

The 1st Filipino climb on Mt Everest (Chomolungma is d Tibetan name). Everest stands 8848m/29035ft, it's the highest pt on Earth. This highest climb dedicated to the people with the highest needs.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Hello from Kathmandu

Hello Everyone,
Just got back in Kathmandu (after 5months), the season is 'better' now, temp is around 20C, city is a bit quiet - not so many tourist (yet).

Met with my Sherpa team today and discussed our battle plans. I still need to do some shopping today and tomorrow, then sort out my gears as well and re-pack. I also did a short interview wd Ms. Elizabeth Hawley - the woman behind the Himalayan Climbing Archives. Her group records all major climbs done in the Himalaya - especially big climbs such as Cho Oyu and Everest. It was her group who confirmed to me last year that my Cho Oyu was the first Pinoy 8000m climb, and that no Pinoy has been to Everest yet.

Tomorrow is my last prep day, then I leave for Lukla (jump-off pt) on Mar7, Tue. I'll be climbing w/ another Pinoy climber during the first stage, then be on my own (rather, my team) from April to May for the main objective.

What's the plan?
* March is dedicated to my acclimatization and training climb. I'll try to hit a 6,100m peak in Khumbu, 5- 6days away from Ev BCamp.
* If all is well, April will be my acclimatization up-&-down climb in the slopes of the big E itself.
* May will be our summit window month. If we're lucky, we'll probably do an assault on the 2nd week of May.

It has been a hectic week before my flight, now that I'm on site, I can relax a bit (hah! really now..)..

I'll do an update in Namche, maybe around Mar9. Hopefully the internet is still working in that village. The village is at ~11,500ft altitude.

'til the next update,
Garduch

5 Comments:

  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Jom said…

    Romy,

    Good luck mula sa aming dalawa ni Marion! Alagaan mo si LA (o sya ba ang mag-aalaga sa 'yo?).

    Jom

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    God bless sa inyo ni LA! Ginger

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Roms, always remember that UPM ka! It means na pag di ka nakaabot sa summit ok lang hehehe...wag mo na lang aminin ;)

    Batch 91

     
  • At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the greet UPMers!
    Noy - handa mo na 50cases ng san miguel! drink til morning eto pgnatapos ;)

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maging sa ilalim nang dagat o sa itaas nang bundok, mabuhay ka Romy!

    - Jing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home